We forward packets to destination by using switching mechanism.
Switching is process to forward packets coming in from one port to a port leading towards the destination .
In large networks, there can be multiple paths from sender to receiver. The switching technique will decide the best route for data transmission .
Types of switching
Circuit switching is the switching mechanism in which the connection between the sender and receiver established using switching before sending data. This switching mechanism . Simple example of circuit switching is telephone network. i.e. we must establish connection before sending data.The circuit guarantees the full bandwidth of the channel and remains connected for the duration of the communication session. The circuit functions as if the nodes were physically connected as with an electrical circuit.
Advantages of circuit switching
- Dedicated path between sender and receiver
- there is no delay once connection is established.
- because of dedicated path,this method is suitable for long continuous transmissions.
Disadvantages of circuit switching
- Once connection established it cannot be used for other data transfers , even the connection is free.
- Inefficient in terms of resource utilization.
- require more bandwidth.
- Time require to establish connection,may take long.
In message switching we don’t require to create or establish dedicated path for transmission.
In switching node the message is directly sent.When source node / sender sends message , the destination address is appended to message . that’s why we don’t need to establish dedicated connection.Each switching node receive entire message , it stores entire message on the disk and then transmit the message to the next node. if the next node doesn’t have space on disk then the previous node waits for another node with required space.
Advantages of Message Switching
- Efficient in terms of resource utilization than Circuit switching.
- Traffic congestion can be reduced.
- Message Priorities can be established.
Disadvantages of Message Switching
- It is not compatible with interactive applications.
- store and forward devices are expensive because they need space to hold large data.
- Message switching is slow.
- Not recommended for real time applications.
in packet switching messages are divided in number of packets.Each packet includes source, destination and intermediate node address information so that individual packet can routed in network independently.
In packets switching con physical path established between sender and receiver. doesn’t require bandwidth in advance. It supports store and forward transmission
Advantages of Packets switching
- Less delay . because they are sent as soons as received.
- Doesn’t require massive storage.
- Ensures better bandwidth.
- allows simultaneous usage by multiple users
Disadvantages of packet switching
- Packet switching high installation costs.
- complex protocols for delivery required.
- Can not used in high quality communications like hd calls.
- complex protocols for delivery
Difference between switching techniques
If you have any question,complaint,suggestion,feedback on the above or any content published over website , kindly contact us.